Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Earthquake
08-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Earthquake
Woke up this morning and thought a critter was running around in my attic. There was a goofy vibrating sound of varying frequencies that lasted for about 30 or 40 seconds. Turns out it was an earthquake.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/us/north-...index.html

I've experienced several quakes over the years, but this was the first that I remember occurring while I was at home. All others occurred while I was in class (Elementary school or college) or at work.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2020, 04:21 AM
RE: Earthquake
I heard about that on the news. We've never had one here in the Boston area. I probably wouldn't know what it was. Glad it was not so earth shattering.

LingoLinda
[Image: countup.php]
[Image: rotate.php]
08-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Surprise quake. Usually it's S. CA or some other place in the west. Long time ago, I experienced a quake in the Philadelphia PA area. I was sitting on my bed with one toe touching the bare floor. My toe felt the vibrations. I didn't know what it was, but later found out via the news. If you go to Hawaii, there are constant mini-mini quakes. Sometimes it feels like you're walking on a moving sidewalk.
Find all posts by this user
08-13-2020, 10:09 PM
(08-12-2020 10:58 AM)tonebytone Wrote:  Surprise quake. Usually it's S. CA or some other place in the west. Long time ago, I experienced a quake in the Philadelphia PA area. I was sitting on my bed with one toe touching the bare floor. My toe felt the vibrations. I didn't know what it was, but later found out via the news. If you go to Hawaii, there are constant mini-mini quakes. Sometimes it feels like you're walking on a moving sidewalk.

I did not feel my house shaking with this one. Different construction types and foundations may act quite differently. If your house resonates at the same frequency as the shock waves, or is very rigid, then you feel more motion. Some of my neighbors had wall hangings come down.
The last one I felt here occurred in 2011, was centered in southern Va and was much stronger. I was at work in a light industrial complex and the building moved very noticeably. Our first impression was that a small plane crashed on the roof. After the shaking continued for about 45 or 50 seconds, we knew it was a quake.

I was also at work in Brookneal, Va about 18 to 20 yrs ago, in similarly constructed building and had the same motion and sound effects.

The most amusing quake story for me happened in '68 or '69. I was taking finals in advanced inorganic chemistry course. The exam was oral in front of all Chem professors. I was sitting directly behind the senior organic prof and he was leaning the desk back at quite an angle. When the quake hit, he almost tipped over backwards. He was very upset because he thought I tried to tip him over. He was only convinced after every one else in the room chimed in to tell him the floor literally bucked several inches.

08-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Wonderful stories, Tom. If you've ever been to Hawaii, esp the Big Island, you'll feel mini quakes most of the time. It's like having the sidewalk slightly shake when walking on it. But you do get used to the sensation. On the Big island, there's a quake center that has charts in real time that record quake movements as they happen. It's rather awe-inspiring, to say the least.

I do remember that VA quake in 2011. Thump, thump, thump, thump, across my roof. Then it was done with. I couldn't figure out what it was, as nothing else had shaken. I even went outside to see if a tree had fallen and bounced on the roof. It felt/sounded like Paul Bunyan was tramping across my roof.
Find all posts by this user