Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tandem Tables server turns 17
02-12-2020, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2020 10:49 PM by jawjahboy.)
Tandem Tables server turns 17
Tandemtables server will be 17 years old next Wednesday. It began when Sally approached Arbor hosting, struck a lease deal and recruited 9 others to share the adventure. We are self managed, with technical help from Arbor. It has been a team effort through the years. Sammi and Sally hacked in our emails and subdomains at first.
(hacking is a programmer's term for adding functionality to software or installing software into hardware)

I hacked in uploaders, gzip routines and search and replace functions in our FMs. Linda has been working hard on mail lists and this forum. Most of our members were on WebTV only when we started. I was new to PC and I got the honor of cleaning up our messes -- which were many ---LOL.

Sally and others were a big influence on Arbor's taking on many WebTV users and using some version of our File Manager. Funny I don't even know what Arbor's FM looks like or what it does. It is probably the only WebTV friendly FM I have never seen (other than some of my server mate's self customizations). Our partners numbered 16 at one time, but alas; illness, death and other reasons have reduced our numbers to 5.

The state of the server is strong. We'll be here to turn 18. Boy! how we miss Sally.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2020, 01:56 AM
RE: Tandem Tables server turns 17
I wish there was a way to get the WebTV viewer on to the server, but it is a windows platform. Seems like those years did fly by, and we all learned a lot from each other and admired each other's work. Glad we are able to still have this forum to connect with each other.

LingoLinda
[Image: countup.php]
[Image: rotate.php]
02-15-2020, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Tom, for honoring all the time, our work and accomplishments, and Steve/Arbor's willingness to support our efforts. I had no idea it's been 17 years! I would have guessed 10 maybe, lol. And many thanks to you, too, for all your efforts, both before and after Sally's death. Boy, I sure do miss her, too.
Find all posts by this user
02-17-2020, 03:06 PM
it has been my pleasure to post in an apolitical forum. Many of my coding inspirations have come from questions and ideas posed here. Congrats on a job well done.
02-18-2020, 11:16 AM
(02-17-2020 03:06 PM)The Professor Wrote:  it has been my pleasure to post in an apolitical forum. Many of my coding inspirations have come from questions and ideas posed here. Congrats on a job well done.

It has been our pleasure to have you post your fantastic work and teach us loads of coding methods. Smile

02-18-2020, 12:25 PM
When we still were able to use Webby, I had lots of fun and learned a lot from a few of the Webby newsgroups. I miss those days, too.

Dogonne Microsoft! I still haven't been able to forgive them for killing Webby with the beautiful scopes and grad angles we could use. We created great artwork. But Gates and the other bigwigs just couldn't see the value in what they'd bought.
Find all posts by this user