Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
celebrity encounters -- Richard Simmons part 1
10-23-2019, 10:54 PM
celebrity encounters -- Richard Simmons part 1
1987, Pittsburg, PA. International Symposium on transplantation.
Junior League of Pittsburg sponsored patients day in honor of Dr Thomas Starzl. I accompanied my daughter who was one of Dr. Starzl's invitees. Richard Simmons was featured speaker.
The meeting:
Richard was asked to recognize a couple of exceptional transplant recipients that he had met earlier. One was an adult male heart recipient who after 18 months had just run in a marathon. One was a 3 yr old who had multiple organs and was doing well after one year. Then Richard on his own initiative, asked for all major organ recipients and their family members to stand (he thought that the audience was mostly health workers). When about 3/4 of the audience stood, he freaked out and actually cried. I believe his reaction was real (not acting). He exclaimed "And I am supposed to give an inspirational talk to this group?? " He tore up his notes and proceeded to share some details of his life.
He grew up as a pampered and grossly overweight kid. He was making Fruit of the Loom commercials in Italy, playing the apple and needing no stuffing in the suit. One day he found a note attached to his car windshield from an unknown "fan". Basically, the note said Too bad you are killing yourself with your obesity. What a shame you are going to die so early. This affected him so that he began to starve himself and became very ill. His own parents did not recognize him when they met him at the airport on his return home.
He went through medical help including diet and exercise counseling. Over a period of time he had surgery to remove excess skin and even had a few plugs of hair transplanted. Then he decided to dedicate his talents to helping others.
Richard contributed to charity in a big way. He gave all of the profits from the sale of his products to charity as well as 40% of his personal appearance income.
Richard asked the audience if anyone remembered seeing him on TV wearing a T-shirt instead of his usual tank top. A couple of ladies did and he explained why he wore the tees for several months. He was doing a charity exercise session in a posh midwestern hotel with ladies who paid $15,000 each to exercise with him. The ballroom chandelier fell on him and a couple of the patrons. One of his arms was nearly severed at the shoulder. He settled with the hotel chain by having them pay his medical bills and donating $600,000 to a charity of his choosing. I don't remember what the charity was. That sorta sums up how caring and giving Richard was (is). He wore tees until his injury healed and the scarring was reduced enough to be hidden with make up.
More later on my close encounter.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply