Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Celebrity encounters -- Johnny Cash, June Carter
10-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Celebrity encounters -- Johnny Cash, June Carter
Early 1967: I was working at Shoney's Big Boy Restaurant in Augusta, Ga. Very near closing time on a very slow night, a bus pulled up. Johnny Cash and his touring crew, including June Carter, came in. They had been in Ga for a couple of days and were headed for SC. The dining room supervisor offered to open up the private area for them, but Johnny said he would rather be served just like the few customers we had remaining.
After all the other customers were gone and the door had been locked for closing, Johnny invited the whole crew over to his table. There was only 6 in the closing crew -- 2 of us cooks, the dish washer, 2 in the dining room and 1 from the curb service area. He thanked us for the good food and good service and gave each of us a $5 tip. That was quite generous considering the most expensive items on the menu were $1.85 and I was making $1.35/hr.
Fast forward to sometime in 1982 in Griffin, Ga. My wife was dining room manager at J Henry's Restaurant, the only upscale eatery in town. She told me the production crew and cast for the movie "Murder in Coweta County" would be eating dinner in the private dining room that night. I was night superintendent for William Carter's textile mill and often dropped by J Henry's to see my wife on my way to work. Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash were 2 of the main characters in the movie. Johnny did not remember me, but I reminded him of his visit to Shoney's and he and June both recalled that night. He was friendly to all around him and always the gentleman.
More later on the other celebrity in that cast.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply