Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Celebrity encounter - Chick Donovan
10-03-2019, 10:30 AM
Celebrity encounter - Chick Donovan
One of my closest friends during grammar school days was Donnie Kelley. He had moved a couple of doors from our school (within a half mile of my house) from La Grange Ga.
Donnie was a bit on the wild side. Our neighborhood gang played in the woods, built forts and tree houses, swam in the creeks and ponds and did many outdoor activities after school. I usually drew the line when Donnie pulled out his BB gun and wanted to actually have a gun fight.

I moved away and attended school in the next county during 7th grade, but rejoined my buddies in Augusta in 8th grade. Donnie was not particularly athletic, but played football at Richmond Academy during 10th grade. He was not into body building, nor was he of a muscular build. We graduated in 1965 and I lost touch with Donnie.

Fast forward to 2014. I am approached by the re-union committee for our 50-year reunion. I was on the sub-committee to track down alumni with unknown contact info.

Imagine my surprise when we confirmed that Chick Donovan (Charles Donovan Kelley) the professional wrestler, was Donnie Kelley. My sons and son-in-law are all wrestling fans and knew Chick Donovan. They all live a few miles north of him and had seen him wrestle many times.

Funny how some of your childhood friends become celebs without your realizing the connection from earlier in life.

Another of my classmates, whom I actually did not get to know (large school) is Judy Woodruff the notable broadcast correspondent.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2019, 12:00 AM
RE: Celebrity encounter - Chick Donovan
I imagine he was hard to find. Did he come to the reunion?

LingoLinda
[Image: countup.php]
[Image: rotate.php]
10-04-2019, 01:02 AM
RE: Celebrity encounter - Chick Donovan
(10-04-2019 12:00 AM)Linda Wrote:  I imagine he was hard to find. Did he come to the reunion?

No, he did not attend, nor did he ever answer any of our inquiries.
He was living near Macon, Ga.