TandemTables Forum
Locations made famous by TV or Movies 1 - Printable Version

+- TandemTables Forum (http://tandemtables.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Social Media (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Locations made famous by TV or Movies 1 (/showthread.php?tid=18588)

Locations made famous by TV or Movies 1 - jawjahboy - 10-29-2019 09:32 PM

Yesterday, Shirley and I rode a bit north to scout out good sites to view fall foliage over the next couple of weeks. We dropped in to eat at Snappy Lunch in Mt Airy, NC, Andy Griffith's favorite eatery. This was our first visit to Snappy Lunch which Sheriff Andy Taylor mentioned by name on the Andy Griffith Show. What a pleasant surprise!! Great food at great prices in a town that is the epitome of a tourist destination.

We also learned something new about Andy Griffith. As we sat at the original front counter, the middle aged gentleman to our right was receiving his food. Shirley asked him if it was the famous pork chop sandwich and he said that was the only thing he ate there (several times per month). He asked us where we lived, was familiar with our neighborhood and said his father was from Mt Airy. He lives in Winston-Salem area (just a few miles from us) and passes through Mt Airy on his regular sales route. I asked him if his father knew Andy. Here's his reply and our new info on Andy: " Andy was my father's school bus driver. Dad will tell you that Andy was a great actor -- nice and polite were not in his vocabulary." Yes, Andy drove a school bus as did many 16 and 17 year-olds in the 1940s in NC.

If you are ever anywhere near Mt Airy, NC on a week day (not during Mayberry days) you should check out Snappy Lunch. You won't find a better deal on good food and you may meet someone with a connection to "Mayberry's" favorite son.