TandemTables Forum

Full Version: Strange file compression
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found goofy file names that would not run on Edge or Chrome from our server. They were running fine on the host where I found them. Have you run into file extensions like these?
Illustration here: http://jawjahboy.com/0-testing/
Gee, Tom - that's interesting. So that's a server-side file? Implemented by that particular site's server?
There may be a program that allows access to the zip files without opening them. Seems to me on my last PC, I used to use 7-zip to look at zip files without opening them. It let me into the file and its directories where I could look at the images, etc, but it did not open the zip unless I told it to extract all files.
(04-23-2020 03:08 PM)Linda Wrote: [ -> ]There may be a program that allows access to the zip files without opening them. Seems to me on my last PC, I used to use 7-zip to look at zip files without opening them. It let me into the file and its directories where I could look at the images, etc, but it did not open the zip unless I told it to extract all files.

All my PCs have allowed viewing of files within a compressed folder or zip file. . WebTV could view gzipped files online, PCs cannot.
Remember everyone gzipping their midis for sigs and pages?

The weird thing about this game is that the main page had <script src=directory/file.js> and the directory only had file.jsgz I don't understand how the different extension names worked. I wrote the gzip routine on our server FMs and the extension name has to be exact for the routine to work.
(04-26-2020 11:06 AM)Linda Wrote: [ -> ]This site has info about jagz

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2299...d-encoding

Thanks for the research, Linda. Not sure if our server supports that feature. Our scripts are not placed in cgi-bin. Steve could probably tell us and would have to set that up. Not really worth the trouble with the storage we have.
Reference URL's